Samsung unveiled a new flip smartphone Samsung W2018 at an event held in Xiamen, China. As the title suggests, this is not an ordinary flip phone. Well, it is Samsung’s latest premium high-end Android Flip phone for China. Samsung is celebrating the 10th anniversary of the W series and 25th anniversary of its entry into China. It is 2017 the era of bezel-less phones but why Samsung is launching a flip phone? well, the answer is the company sees the demand for flip phones in the market of China.
Therefore Samsung is trying to seize this opportunity with the Samsung W2018. This Flip phone has something that we haven’t seen before in any device and that is the adjustable camera aperture. The rear camera supports f/1.5 aperture for excellent low-light shots to the f/2.4 aperture for daytime shots. In addition, there is pretty amazing hardware underneath this device so let’s have a quick look.
Samsung W2018 Specification:
- Dimensions: 132.2 × 63.2 × 15.95mm and Weight: 247g
- Dual 4.2-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Super AMOLED displays
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 coupled with Adreno 540 GPU
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with Bixby Voice assistant support
- 6GB RAM + 64GB / 256GB internal memory
- expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.5 or f2.4 aperture, PDAF, 1.4μm pixels, OIS (Optical Image Stabilization)
- 4K video recording @30fps
- 5MP front-facing camera, f/1.9 aperture
- Hybrid dual SIM,4G VoLTE, NFC, USB Type-C
- Fingerprint sensor, heart rate sensor
- 2300mAh battery
Samsung W2018 Keynotes:
- Samsung W2018 comes with two Super AMOLED touchscreen displays.
- It is built with 3D glass and metal frame.
- The W2018 is first flip Phone with Bixby (now supports the Chinese language) and there is also a dedicated Bixby button.
- It lacks Google services as many devices in China. As the phone running on Nougat, Oreo update is expected soon.
- Samsung says the rear camera aperture will automatically switch between f/2.4 and f/1.5 depending on the lighting condition.
Samsung W2018 Price & Availability:
The Samsung W2018 comes in two storage models- an Extreme edition and a Collector edition. The Extreme Edition has 64GB of internal memory whereas the Collector Edition has 256GB of storage. It will available in Black color only, but there are two more color options- Elegant Gold and Platinum, which are also limited editions.
Although the company has not revealed the price of the phone. The expected price of basic version is 15,999 Yuan/$2400 (or approx Rs 156,179). It will be made available in China through JD Mall and TMall.
Also, have a look at Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 – The Bezel less Beauty Launched